Friday, September 23, 2005

Can't wait to radiate

I had my radiation consultation. I found out that I will have 33 treatments. That means one treatment a day for six weeks and 3 days. I will know a lot more after they do a simulation on me next wednesday the 28th. They told me to allow 2 hours for the appointment. I will be marked so they know exactly where to direct radiation and I'm hoping that at that appointment we will set up my actual daily schedule. I will go at the same time every day and it should only take about 10 minutes each day. Side effects are irritation to the skin such as burning or blistering and fatigue.
I am thrilled that I am finally finished chemo, but I must admit that I can't stand the waiting and I'm more than ready to get into a routine with radiation so I can be completely finished with therapy. I am quite tired of being poked and prodded. I went for a blood count yesterday and everything is pretty good but my red blood cells are still lower than they should be and I'll continue to give myself shots every two weeks until it they come up. It should only take another shot or two, this is very normal as the chemo wears off. So I wait. I wait to start radiation, I wait until the numbness wears off in my hands, I wait until food tastes right, I wait to see some hair growing and I wait until my body once again feels like my own. It hasn't since this all began. I continue to look on the bright side because I feel better when I do. After all, I could live on the Gulf coast while trying to get through this therapy and there are people that are dealing with that in the midst of complete devastion and loss of what was their life as they knew it. Putting things in perspective helps when spirits are low. I'll write more after I find out my radiation schedule. I appreciate you checking in. Thanks and Namaste'.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phase one down, Your spirit is beautiful...like you!!! Love karah

9/25/2005 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gal. You have so many admirers - and so you should! We are still keeping you and your family in our prayers and wait to hear the next step. You've come through so much and I am amazed at your strength and optimistic attitude. You have wonderful people cheering your on!! Take care, Love, jan (and all the other j's)

9/25/2005 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Tana. Congrats on finishing the chemo. Congrats on your picture (you look great!) and congrats on your wonderful attitude and the way you can put things in perspective! Can't wait to see you back here at GBY. In the meantime, keep on doing everything right.

Namaste, Jean

9/26/2005 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tana,
Been wanting to send you a note for a while. Your attitude is absolutely great and I know this is just a little bump in the road. Keep smiling and my thoughts and prayers are with you all the way! J. Moore

9/26/2005 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tana,

Glad the first phase is over--- Just another month or so and then you can start putting this behind you! You have been such a trooper!
Hooray for you--- hope you are back at Yoga soon!

Merle

9/27/2005 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home