Saturday, June 04, 2005

One chemotherapy down..........

......seven to go! I'm so glad to be started and be one step closer to the end of treatment. A bit of anxiety set in on thursday but I went about my normal routine teaching class in the morning and then having lunch before Jack and I went to start this new part of my recovery. It turned out not to be as scary as it seems. Strange yes, scary not so much. They accessed my port for the first time, the most uncomfortable part of it all really, and then pumped me full of anti nausea meds through the IV. After that they gave me the first chemo drug, Adriamycin, this is what they call Red Devil. Looks like something out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's in a huge syringe and they push that one through the IV with saline. That only took about 10 minutes. The second chemo drug, Cytoxin, was then dripped through the IV like the anti nausea meds were. About 2 and a half hours later we were on our way home. We went out for dinner thursday evening and out on the town again last night. I've been taking my anti nausea prescriptions and following instructions and I am feeling fine. I've suffered no nausea so far. Since chemo was 2 days ago, I think I'm in the clear. Could be premature in thinking this but I don't think so. If I can continue to handle this the way I am so far, I should get through this with minimal side effects of nausea. I didn't sleep that great on thursday night but did sleep pretty well last night. I can see where fatigue may be a problem with the cumulative effects of this treatment. However, If I rest when I need to I'm sure all will be well. I was able to self inject myself with Neulasta yesterday without a problem and hopefully that will do it's job of boosting my white blood cells for my next treatment.
Monday I have an appointment to get my long hair cut short. I'll keep a shorter doo, until it looks like it's time to shave it down, I'll know when, it will become apparent I'm sure. Just one more step in this process. I'm already a doo rag wearer in the summer months so I'm used to those. I've also collected some cool scarves and headgear to keep my little pea head from burning, so I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Stay tuned for more, but just know for now, all is well.
Thanks for checking in.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to read that things went well it is all that positive energy you have surrounding you. Lots of Love, Maja

6/06/2005 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! I am glad you are feeling so good.
Have a wonderful week.
Talk to you soon.
Love,
Sue

6/06/2005 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi tana, i am happy to hear how well things went for you. that is great news! i also enjoyed your "braided tana" picture! looking forward to seeing you at class wednesday. namaste, connie

6/06/2005 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look great with short hair! I wish I ws there to cut it for you! 7-6-5-4-3-...I am counting with you. Hang in there my beautiful friend. Love Karah

6/07/2005 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home