Monday, February 09, 2009

Slapped by 2009

The holidays came again with lightening speed and we blew through them with the usual amount of family visits and fun with friends. 2009 was poised to be a better year than the last. On the day of New Year's eve I got a phone call that my friend and mentor, Rich, the owner and director of our yoga studio had passed on. It was not a complete suprise as he had been living with bone cancer for 8 years but it was a shock to hear the words. He was my friend for the past 11 years and I learned a lot from him about how to relate with others as they moved along their yogic path. He always had confidence in me as a teacher and encouraged me to keep going even when it seemed that students were few and far between. As a result of his guidance I have been teaching at his yoga studio for 10 years and have quite a few loyal students. He gave me the opportunity to teach in a beautful space for all of these years and that is a gift that I will always treasure. I will miss him and his gentle approach to life. God Speed Rich.

This very sad loss has brought another opportunity for me and another teacher at the studio. We will now become partners and the studio will continue under our direction. It's exciting and scary all at the same time! I never thought I wanted to own a studio. My true joy is in the teaching, but it is yet another chance to grow and I'm all for that.

I have just returned from a week in Jamaica with some of my closest friends. We stayed at a fabulous villa. It is so gorgeous. This was our 4th trip to Jamaica and in years past we always stayed at resorts. I must say that I prefer the villa with the hospitable and very kind staff. Once again feeling blessed is the order of the day. To top it off I had a visit with Dr. T my oncologist just days before I left. He told me that my bloodwork and health are all in great shape and I don't have to see him for a whole year!!!! That is quite a landmark and we're so excited!

So where year started off with deep sadness, it seems to be getting better already. Rich will forever be in my memories and I will always bear in mind the things he taught me. Now the emphasis is on making my own way as a teacher/studio owner and making sure that my health reports remain perfect. I'm thankful for each day and for all of the love and support in my life. I intend to make sure that everyone I love knows it, it should be easy, there are many amazing people in my life to love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home