Friday, August 16, 2013

New Chapter

Greetings friends! I thought it was time to resume this blog as it started with my breast cancer journey and now I have more to add. I have tested positive for the BRCA 1 gene mutation linked to ovarian cancer. What this means is that I am now at much higher risk for the return of breast cancer and/or ovarian cancer by age 70. No thank you, I'm doing great! My best chance for survival is to remove those parts that are most vulnerable. I've got a plan. Initially I thought this would be a hard decision. But not so much. I know what it's like to go through chemo, radiation and recovery and frankly I've got better things to do! There is never any guarantee that I will not have to deal with cancer in my life again. But no one has that guarantee. I've known quite a number of clean eating, fitness conscious folks that have lost the battle. One thing I do know is by these preventative measures I will never have breast or ovarian cancer! Releasing the daily worry of that is worth it's weight in gold. Since I am currently not fighting cancer, I can proceed with this on my schedule which is nice. It's nice because I have been SUP boarding 2-3 times a week and would like to continue through October. At the end of October it's Yoga Journal Conference! Then I'll have my ovaries removed. I'm shooting for January to have the bi-lateral mastectomy preformed by the same surgeon that did my lumpectomy. Reconstruction begins at that time. So here we go! I'll keep you posted. The journey continues.......

2 Comments:

Blogger Tana said...

Thanks everyone for all the love via Facebook. A lot of people said they couldn't comment here. I changed a few settings. You might be able to now. Not sure. But thank you for your support, love and kindness. I am grateful, very grateful and will take it any way you send it! XO

8/17/2013 8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you Tana. Wishing you the very best.

10/04/2013 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home