A brand new year
The new year has begun and I'm looking at it with much optimism. I dream, hope and pray for a better year than last. There are going to be some low points, of that I am sure. But I'm thinking that this year, the good will out weigh bad. Last year I faced one of my biggest fears. Getting cancer you say? No, that wasn't it. Losing a parent has been what I've feared the most since I was a child. My family and I continue to work through the pain and the loss. I've got to say that it's not easy, but we persevere. That reminds me of something that Jack said to me. He told me once that he didn't like the word survivor as in cancer survivor. In our minds there was never any doubt that I would survive the ordeal that was put before me. He told me that he thought of me as much more than a survivor, so he calls me a perseverer. I thank him for that and for being my rock. I've come to find out that my perseverance has inspired others that are going through their own crisis and I think that is very cool. I never intended anything except to get through it and continue to get through it, it's part of my life now. The cancer is gone, but the fact is that every blood test, mammogram and ultrasound provide just enough anxiety to keep lingering thoughts in the back of the mind. Remember, that I am fresh out of therapy, so every day that I am cancer free, turns into weeks, months and years and so it will get easier, in time, I'm sure of it.
I continue to work on healing. There are still some lingering side effects. As a person who has dealt with breast cancer I have a number of healing therapies at my disposal through the Well Span Center for Mind Body Health. They were given a grant from the Susan G. Komen foundation so that people in my situation can have alternative healing modalities available to them free of charge. For eight weeks I am able to take yoga, receive acupuncture, reiki , and healing touch massage. I can do as many of the therapies as I can fit into my schedule. As you know I already teach and practice yoga, but there can never be too much yoga! I also have 8 sessions of acupuncture scheduled. I am going to try to do all the therapies that I can. I'll let you know how they go.
Until next time.
Be well.

1 Comments:
Ok, now get to work here! Turn this into the yoga/wellness/Tana's teaching blog! Breathe deep, type, breathe deep, type, ok breathing can be optional.
Post a Comment
<< Home