Hairy Christmas!
Whoa, what a whirlwind year. It started out fantastic with trips to Jamaica with our best friends, followed by a fabulous, over the top trip to the Bahamas with another group of great friends. Then came the words, "it's cancer." The focus of the year took a serious shift. We took it head on and decided we'd do whatever we had to to beat the disease. It was an emotional, heart breaking summer as we mourned the loss of my Dad and continue to miss him. I've been poked and x-rayed and tested. I've had surgeries, long chemotherapy sessions and daily radiation. Scars are fading and the discoloration of my skin from radiation is also fading. I still have a little bit of neuropathy (numbness and tingling) in my hands, but have great hope that too will fade. I'm a little tired and my joints are a bit achey,all side effects of my aggressive treatment. This should all go away over time and it's a small price to pay to be cancer free. And the hair! It's back! It's really interesting to watch it, who knows what it's really going to look like?!
I say "we" as I talk of the years events because this journey was not mine alone. My husband, my family, my friends and students, you've all been there with me and for me during what was a scary time in regards to my health and an overwhelmingly sad time when I lost my Dad. "Thank you" just doesn't seem to cover all that you've done for me and continue to do. With sincere and deepest gratitude I am very thankful that you are part of my life. Best wishes for a new year filled with love, laughter and hope. A heart felt wish that you feel the love that I have felt this past year as you deal with your own tests of strength and courage.
Namaste, Peace and Joy

3 Comments:
Wow. I was surfing and checking out alumni sights. I am just embarking on what you have gone through. I had surgery in November to remove Colon cancer and I just started Chemo last week. I've been lucky enough to be part of a clinical trial. I have treatments every other week for a full year. Hopefully next Christmas I will be celebrated my deportation too!
I wish you the best of health in the New Year as a cancer survivor!
Mark McDaniel
Class of 83
macksic@comcast.net
Bienvenido a un yaer nuevo mi amigo. (Welcome to a NEW year my friend)
Tana, I have been keeping up with your progress, and am so happy that you are well. I have kept you in my prayers this whole time. Blessings to you and your family as you move into the future with optimism and love.
With love,
Julie Madill
Post a Comment
<< Home