Tuesday, April 04, 2006

What a difference a year makes

One year ago today, I was told that I had breast cancer. Last year was a very dramatic one, filled with the kind of drama that you hope will never be part of your life. On the other hand, I have never felt so much love and such kindness before. I've said it before but I'll say it over and over again in the hopes that somehow I can convey my deepest heart felt gratitude. It goes out to every single person in my life, both near and far. Thank you from the deepest part of me. Thank you for your friendship, encouragement, hugs, support, your thoughts, prayers and good wishes. Most of all your love, without it all is lost. Nothing else really matters. It sounds cliche', almost cheesy, but really you will find those words to be the highest truth in the midst of the most devasting and challenging times in your life. It's so simple and it costs nothing. Through out my blog I made a couple of musical references, well here's another.........."All you need is love, love is all you need."
Now as this Spring is upon us, a new year, a new Spring, embrace the changes in your lives. Enjoy the beauty that is all around you that, just like love, costs nothing. I am seeing this Spring through new eyes. More than ever before I delight in the beauty of nature. I am inspired by it, I am connected to it and I am part of it, and it feels fresh and new. In some ways it feels quite odd to be back in the groove of life. To be expending time and energy on the mundane and most trivial things that are part of daily life. I never thought I'd be happy to deal with those things again. But now I look forward with hope. No longer is each and every thought on making it through breast cancer.
I know this entry is a long time coming. Last time I wrote I was embarking on alternative therapies to help me get past the residual side effects of treatment. I have always been a fan of massage and continue to stick with that on a regular basis. That is something I always did long before cancer was part of my life. Acupunture was new for me and I found it quite helpful in dealing with the menopausal side effects such as hot flashes and night sweats. I also feel that it helped increase my energy flow. I will continue with it as needed. I feel pretty good. Most aches and pains are tolerated just like yours. They come and they go. It is what it is. Other than that, yoga continues to be what keeps me the most centered. My practice has changed and that's the nature of it. It continues to inspire me. Look within yourself. Inquire. What inspires you? Until next time..............

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right, what a difference a year really makes!
The bad is behind you and only good shall be ahead of you. This is my wish for you. As always, your writings are so thought provoking and spiritual. Celebrate this day and we are looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Lots of Love, Maja

4/04/2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger Mark Barry said...

You go Gurrrl! Welcome back to the blogsphere. A sentence a day, leads to a post a week. Come on lets say that together.....

4/05/2006 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holmey said...
It was a terrible thing to go through, but I think you can use all of your experiences to help others in crisis... so there is a silver lining with this. Now when someone askes me what my favorite flower is I'll respond with "the Tana, a beautiful flower that blooms all year long."

I love you man!!!
:)

4/05/2006 2:05 PM

4/07/2006 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home